Not my recipe, but I've tweaked it some, and changed the cooking method Alton Brown originally used. These dumplings can be fried as potstickers (his original choice), deep-fried, steamed or baked. If steaming or baking, I'd probably pre-cook the pork, but for either of the frying methods, there's no need to do so.
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Wanton Ways
Modified by Dave Minnich
1/2 pound ground pork
4 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped red ancho chili pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 teaspoon yellow mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
35 to 40 small wonton wrappers
Water, for sealing wontons
1/2 gallon vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
1. Combine the first 10 ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl (pork through black pepper). Set aside.
2. To form the dumplings, remove 1 wonton wrapper from the package, covering the others with a damp cloth. Brush 2 of the edges of the wrapper lightly with water. Place 1/2 rounded teaspoon of the pork mixture in the center of the wrapper. Fold over, seal edges, and shape as desired. Set on a sheet pan. Repeat procedure until all of the filling is gone.
3. Heat oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven to 360° F.
4. Gently place the dumplings in the oil, 7 to 8 at a time. Fry until golden, approximately 2 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack set in a sheet pan lined with newspaper, sprinkle with paprika, and let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
1) The formed, uncooked dumplings can be frozen for future use by laying them on a single layer on a baking tray lined with wax paper. Once dumplings are frozen solid, remove them to a freezer bag and store for up to several months.
2) The cooked dumplings can be frozen for future eating by the same method. To reheat, place in a single layer on a baking tray in a 350° F oven for 12-15 minutes.
1/4 cup light soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon walnut oil
1/2 lemon, zested
1/2 orange, zested
1 tablespoon garlic
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: about 1/3 cup